POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ODBC : Re: ODBC Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ODBC
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Dec 2007 09:30:40
Message: <47614210$1@news.povray.org>
Gail Shaw wrote:
> "Invisible" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
>
>> There appear to be ODBC drivers for accessing CSV files and so forth.
>
> Yup. Excel spreadsheets, xml files, assorted databases, active directory,
> etc...
>
>> So does that mean I can perform arbitrary SQL queries on a CSV file?
>
> Probably. How complex a statement depends on the capabilities of the driver
> in question. If it has a manula/help file, read it.

...right. So you're saying the type of queries I can do can vary by ODBC
driver?

I guess I was assuming that an ODBC driver is like a graphics driver -
either you have graphics or you don't. (Oh, and some of the more exotic
features might not be available, like 3D acceleration or hardware overlays.)

Basically I want to develop a program that talks to a database. I was
going to use ODBC to do this. But I don't have a database set up right
now, so I was wondering if I could test it with a simple text file until
I get round to setting up a real database. [Obviously a CSV file isn't
going to even approach the speed of a half decent database engine. But I
can test whether data goes in and data comes out.]

Alternatively, does anybody know how to configure PostgreSQL? Because I
can't get the damn thing to work properly...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/